National Volunteer Operations Coordinator
Date: September 2022
Department: Volunteer Services
Reports to: Volunteer Program Manager
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: $45,000+ Per Annum Plus Benefits
Time Required On-Site: 40% (approximate)
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and distribute it to charities and not-for-profits across the country to feed communities. Demonstrating our values of community, environment, integrity, and collaboration, we strive for No Waste. No Hunger.
Second Harvest has a growing network of more than 2,300 non-profit and charitable partners that we redistribute food to, over 300 of which are Toronto-based. Second Harvest is looking for an adaptive, organized, and energized individual to join our team as the National Volunteer Operations Coordinator.
Reporting to the Volunteer Program Manager, this position works closely and collaboratively with all departments across the organization to achieve Second Harvest volunteerism goals. The incumbent will be at the forefront of our strategy to engage volunteers across Canada and is responsible for supporting the growth of a national volunteer program including the recruitment, screening, selection, and stewardship of volunteers.
- Recruit, screen, and train new volunteers as Second Harvest’s volunteer program expands nationally.
- Act as liaison between Field Operations staff and volunteers.
- Provide volunteers with feedback, monitor volunteer satisfaction, and resolve concerns in a timely manner.
- Execute an annual survey and obtain ongoing feedback from volunteers.
- Maintain and track volunteer metrics.
- Oversee data entry of national volunteers and placements into Raiser’s Edge.
- Ensure ongoing volunteer recognition through both informal and formal means.
- Advocate and communicate the role of volunteers within the organization.
- Participate in meetings as required to remain apprised of volunteer requirements.
- Ensure that all volunteers are appreciated and stewarded to maintain a large and dedicated volunteer base.
- Assist with assessing and evaluating the Volunteer Program regularly for efficiency and potential for national growth.
- Recruit, interview, schedule, train, and supervise all volunteers for Second Harvest’s national events and activities.
- Provide support with the planning and day-of logistics for any national Volunteer Appreciation events.
- Work collaboratively with other Second Harvest team members to define and support administrative needs for individual departments and build out an appropriate volunteer strategy.
- Regularly generate and submit monthly/quarterly reports based on KPI’s and create annual reports that include volunteer hours, number of volunteers, and program outcomes.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- Partnership-Minded: you are a people person who can leverage existing relationships to build program success.
- Detail-Oriented: you are proud of your work and know that cutting corners isn’t an option.
- Energized: you are always ready to take on new things and have fun doing it.
- Flexible: constant change motivates you to adapt and grow.
- Technical: you have a high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite of products; you also have experience working with Raiser’s Edge.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in the not-for-profit sector, with volunteer services programs, special events programs and their management and administration.
- Post-secondary education in volunteer management, human resources, social work, or similar field is preferred.
- *Bilingualism is an asset.
Second Harvest requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by Health Canada. The Organization will comply with its obligations pursuant to the applicable human rights legislation and accommodate any prospective or current employee who is unable to be vaccinated for substantiated reasons, such as medical or religious reasons. Second Harvest’s vaccination policy is available upon request.
For more information about Second Harvest, visit: www.secondharvest.ca
Please submit your cover letter and resume on or before September 25, 2022, via email, with “NATIONAL VOLUNTEER OPERATIONS COORDINATOR” in the subject line, to email@example.com.
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-seeking groups such as (but not limited to): racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.