Driver - Ambassador
TITLE: Driver - Ambassador
DATE: June 2022
DEPARTMENT: Fleet & Warehouse
REPORTS TO: Lead Driver-Ambassador
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
SALARY: $46,865 Per Annum Plus Benefits
TIME REQUIRED ON-SITE:100%
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery.
We rescue surplus, unsold primarily perishable food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to charities and not-for-profits across the country to feed communities. Demonstrating our values of community, environment, integrity, and collaboration, we strive for No Waste. No Hunger.
Second Harvest is looking for a seasoned DZ Driver-Ambassador to join our team. Reporting to the Lead Driver-Ambassador, this position ensures that the pick-up and delivery of all second Harvest food is executed in a safe and efficient manner and that the distribution of food is executed equitably to all member programs. The Driver-Ambassador also acts as a representative of Second Harvest by possessing awareness and understanding of issues related to hunger and homelessness in Toronto.
- Perform complete circle check/inspection logs of the assigned truck at the beginning of each shift.
- Pick up food from donors and deliver it to agencies as per Health & Safety regulations.
- Be responsible for loading and unloading assigned product into the assigned truck for every shift.
- Handle food in a safe manner and ensure all food is stored as per food safety regulations.
- Ensure that food is stored appropriately (i.e., floor, freezer or cooler, truck) and that truck is parked in the designated spots.
- Collaborate with all Driver-Ambassadors, Lead Driver-Ambassador, and the Fleet & Warehouse Supervisor to ensure food is divided adequately and equitably across all the routes.
- Maintain accurate records of all food pick-ups and deliveries.
- Maintain a high level of customer service with all stakeholders.
Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- Experienced Driver: You have a valid DZ driver’s license and a minimum of 3 years’ experience driving 10 speed automatic trucks (must provide a clean driver’s abstract of minimum 3 years); you have proven ability to perform driver pick-up and delivery functions, and associated record-keeping.
- GTA-Savvy: you have thorough knowledge of the GTA, particularly downtown Toronto, and have at least 3 years driving experience in the city.
- Professional: you have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as strong conflict resolution and negotiation abilities.
- Communicator: you can communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Physically able to climb in and out of the truck, lifting up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis throughout the day.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Experience in the social services sector would be an asset.
- Food Handling certificate would be an asset.
- Must be willing to undergo a background check
Perks of Working at Second Harvest
- Group benefits plan (Life insurance, AD&D, LTD, Vision care, Dental care, Drug coverage, Hospital benefit, Massage, Chiropractic, Physiotherapy, Health Spending Account, Employee Assistance Program, and more).
- Pension plan (Defined Benefit Pension Plan).
- Vacation starting at 4 weeks per year.
- Paid sick leave, Paid personal days, and other paid time off.
- Additional time off around the year-end holidays and in the summer.
- Working for an organization that is making a difference!
Second Harvest requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by Health Canada. The Organization will comply with its obligations pursuant to the applicable human rights legislation and accommodate any prospective or current employee who is unable to be vaccinated for substantiated reasons, such as medical or religious reasons. Second Harvest’s vaccination policy is available upon request.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email, with “DRIVER-AMBASSADOR” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-seeking groups such as (but not limited to): racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.